Social Change Initiative
VALUEUSA's Social Change Initiative calls for a consumer-driven redesign of the current adult basic education system in this country. It must be redesigned to help many times more learners achieve their personal goals faster using 21st Century approaches.
- 90 million adults have low literacy skills.
- The current adult basic education system to serve less than 3 million adults each year using methods that require 3-5 years on average for an adult to achieve "functional literacy."
- As many as 20% of learners drop out of adult literacy programs before completing 10 hours of instruction and less than 3% reach their primary goal of earning their GED in 3-5 years.
- The vast majority of the remaining 87 million low-literate adults do not want to seek help from a system that looks like the schools that failed them in the past - a system that by its design continues to reinforce the stigma of adult low-literacy.
- The current system is simply not designed to meet the modern needs of learners in a realistic time frame.
Our Core Principles
Objectives for this Initiative
- Build public and political awareness of the four principles and support for them.
- Develop an alternative model for adult basic education in the U.S.